Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Queens Pride



This year Queens celebrated 20 years of gay pride [June 3rd, 2012]. After all this time, and after all we have gone through I am so glad that we have time to celebrate the history we started in NY, Queens. This was my first time attending the Queens pride, so I did not know what to expect, as my only reference is the NYC pride parade and celebration.

The parade was great, and it was well executed. It started at 88th street (I believe) on 37th avenue, to 74th street. The Only thing that was a bit of a downer was that the parade was too short, as there were not many floats. The parade must have lasted for about an hour and a half. Since the gay community is mostly center on Jackson Heights I can understand the size of the parade. But of course, people form all over NY come to enjoy in the festivities.

The celebration continued with the stage show at 37th Road. Performers entertained us with music and dance for a couple of hours. It did rained for a about half an hour but after it the sun came out and we kept in enjoying the afternoon. After the rain, a rainbow appeared to celebrate the day with us.

Once the stage show was over, it was time to hit the bars. For some reason this year the bars were very crowded, to the point the cops had to close entrance to most of the bars along Roosevelt Avenue. The people were not to happy about this, but I'm sure everyone found a place to enjoy themselves.

Regardless of the rain and the cops bar-blocking (hehe) the fun, the day was great and it was so much fun! I will definitely attend next year with my friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment