Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2014

Surface Pro 3 (amateur) review

I'm writing this quick review from BestBuy at the Microsoft Surface experience table.
First impressions: I really like this product.

*The form factor of a tablet and laptop combined is great as you have more possibilities for playing and working.
*The new keyboard feels amazing, and I am happy to report that it is a delight to type on it. You get a satisfying click on each keystroke, not loud enough to bother anyone around, by clicky enough to let you know you are tapping the keys correctly.
*The touch screen is multiscreen which I have mostly used for launching apps, but not really to interface with apps.
*The mouse track feels a bit uneasy on my fingers as they slide through the surface of the track easily. I think the mouse track from the Surface 2 felt much better. Perhaps I can calibrate it on the Surface 3?
*I just learned the keyboard is backlight, great for dim lit environments.
*There are options for memory expansion through SD card. Not too shabby.
*The kickstand now can be set at any angle.

What I don't like about it:
*Microsoft insists in selling a "productivity" laptop, but they do not launch with Office. All I would ever want is to work with Office (in my personal experience), but it does not come installed on the Surface Pro. For such a pricy (starting at $999.99), productivity hailed power house, it should come installed with Office as a selling feature.
*I have not been able to try out the App Store, but I heard that are not as many apps in it. As long as I had my key apps, like Instagram, Groupon, Fandango, Google +, Netflix, etc., I'd be happy. My current laptop runs Windows 7 so I don't run apps on laptops a lot. But having them is a good option.

Overall, not a bad computing device but I would much lean towards buying a Surface 2, which comes with Office, and it's similar enough to the Surface Pro 3 (not in terms of processing power). And the Surface 2 comes with free One Drive storage, and free 1 year free of Skype calls. Altogether I feel (for me) a better value for my money and computing behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment